Saturday, January 31, 2009

In the DR

I sit here under the soothing rotations of an ever present ceiling fan, the humid ocean breeze blowing through my shirt and repelling any beads of sweat that try to appear on my back. The sounds of the street, a continuous chorus of honking and diesel engines, are the only things disturbing my peace.
Since my arrival one week ago my life has been filled with the busyness of new experiences. New country, new culture, new language, new people, new food, new…well, you get the idea. I have already been to church enough to justify an ordination, and I have eaten enough to expel all thoughts of weight loss on the “missionary diet”. For those of you reading this that are snowed in and tired of the long, cold, lonely winter days you might not want to read this next sentence. The weather down here is perfect, and the combination of 80 degree heat and 75 percent humidity is wonderful.
I am been staying with the Matos family. Mario and Yolanda are the parents of two beautiful and energetic children-Susana and Maria Magdalena (aka Magda). Oh, and don’t forget Coky (“coke-ey”) the feisty month old Chihuahua. Mario is my contact here in the DR, and I have been following him around to a variety of churches and ministries in his network of transformation.
As is often the case when I travel, my library of books is about as broad and random as it gets. I am reading Plato’s Republic, Personal Finance for Dummies, Che Speaks to Young People, and Cornell West’s An Afro-American Revolutionary Christianity. All these books deeply confuse me and utterly challenge me, two concepts that are more connected than I am willing to admit. By intentionally disorienting myself, I am forced to recalibrate myself in the right direction, and for that I am reading this old book that was written by a lot of prophetic authors back in the day.
People constantly ask me, “What exactly are you doing down there?”
Well, I am not exactly sure. But here is what I know so far. That I am here because God wants me to be here. That I am here to bring transformation. That the transformation I bring is as much in my heart as it is in anyone else’s.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Buddy, I'm impressed! You're so poetic! (You know I can't take any credit for those genes, although Uncle Craig and Grandma Young are great writers, so maybe I can take a little! :)) Anyway, keep on being transformed (and writing!). Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Levi. Thanks for doing this blog, so that we can follow along with your adventures. Loved hearing about what you're reading, although I'd like to see a little more variety in your choice of books:) Che and personal finaces? Wow! Well, that's what an adventure like the one you're on is all about: taking in everything that you can, giving each book and each experience the benefit of the doubt in order to see what it might bring to your life, and then see what sticks. Give our love to Mario and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are doing this blog so we can keep tabs on you. The weather in Southeast Alaska did get up to a balmy 40 today. Ellen downhilled, I cross country skiied as we have lots of snow still. Saw the end of the Superbowl. Ushered at church, a pretty regular day here. As you meet with people I pray Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. " Love from your Alaskan family, Andi and all

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing Levi You are on incredible person man I am really amazed by you You are ruly becoming one of my heros and you are my age man thats awesome God bless you bruh Hope you have a blast

    ReplyDelete